Our experience allows us to understand the needs and challenges of businesses, and help you efficiently conquer those challenges and capitalize on your opportunities.
TRUSTED ADVISORS FOR EVERY PHASE OF YOUR BUSINESS
We’ve advised individual entrepreneurs, private companies and public companies. From starting your business and raising financing, to preparing to sell your enterprise, we can help. And along the way we can help you ensure that you are protecting valuable intellectual property rights and efficiently managing risks and opportunities.
- company formation
- convertible notes and “safe” financing
- series seed financing
- secured and unsecured promissory notes
- founder stock agreements
- stock option plans
- offer letters and employee agreements
- form contracts
- non-disclosure agreements
- IP transfers and assignments
- consulting and service agreements
- biotech, software and copyright licensing agreements
- patent, trademark and copyright counseling
- internet domain acquisitions
- commercial contracts
- IP license agreements
- VC financing
- private placements
- IPO preparation
- employee handbooks
- compensation plans
- separation and severance agreements
- dispute resolution
- pre-litigation counseling
- business acquisitions
- asset acquisitions
- stock transfers and repurchases
- equity financings
- debt financings
- asset licensing transactions
Golf, basketball, running, fitness.” team_social_icon_2_link=”mailto:email@example.com”]
James founded Agiletic Law Group to create a high-value, low-cost alternative for companies seeking senior-level legal services. James has extensive corporate legal experience resulting from his time as a partner at a global law firm, general counsel for a public biotech company and principal of Agiletic Law Group.
James has acted as the senior attorney for over 150 public and private financing transactions (venture financings, public offerings, PIPEs, debt financings), over 50 merger and acquisition transactions (buy-side and sell-side), over 100 start-up formations and a variety of other transactions (licensing agreements, strategic transactions, equity compensation, insolvency analyses, pre-litigation disputes and negotiations). He has routinely provided legal and strategic advice to the senior management and Boards of Directors for a variety of companies, public and private, in a variety of industries, such as life sciences, technology and services.
- Agiletic Law Group, P.C. (2011-present) – Principal
- Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: HALO) (2008-2010) – Vice President, Legal
- DLA Piper (1998-2008) – Partner, Corporate Securities Group
- Hastings College of the Law, J.D. (1998)
- Occidental College, B.A. (1988)
Golf, basketball, running, fitness.
Running, cycling, coaching youth soccer and baseball.” team_social_icon_2_link=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”]
Kevin joined Agiletic Law Group in late 2015, bringing 10 years of experience managing the legal needs of a large private company. Kevin began his legal career at a top-tier Silicon Valley law firm specializing in the representation of emerging companies and venture capital investment firms, advising start-up companies regarding VC financing transactions, private placements, mergers & acquisitions, IPOs and strategic transactions.
Subsequently, he served as General Counsel of an international e-commerce retailer, where he advised senior management and the Board of Directors and managed all of the company’s legal needs related to intellectual property and licensing, commercial contracts, partnerships, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, stock plans, employment agreements, privacy and consumer laws, corporate governance, dispute resolution and pre-litigation counseling.
- Agiletic Law Group, P.C. (2015-present) – Principal
- Art.com, Inc. (2005-2015) – General Counsel
- Gunderson Dettmer (1998-2005) – Corporate Securities Group
- Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D. (1998)
- UC Santa Barbara, B.A., microbiology (1991)
Running, cycling, coaching youth soccer and baseball
We understand the importance of efficiently getting started on the right path. We’ve helped a variety of companies through early-stage projects, such as:
- Intra-founder stock repurchase transaction for a technology services company
- Clean-up of historical formation issues for a consumer products company
- Reincorporation and clean-up of historical stock agreements for consumer application company
- $400k convertible note seed financing for social media application company
- $1M equity investment for a consumer services company
- $1M Series A Preferred Stock financing for e-commerce company
- $3M Series A Preferred Stock financing for distilled beverages company
Whether you are building and protecting your own IP assets, or licensing third-party rights, we can help you get it done. Recent examples of IP projects include:
- Spin-out of technology assets by a life sciences company
- Exclusive royalty-bearing license for a life sciences company (licensor-side)
- IP protection counseling, resulting in filed patent applications, for a digital media technology
- Licensing talent, music and image rights for a multi-channel advertising campaign
- A non-exclusive royalty-bearing patent sublicense for a medical device company
- IP counseling for e-commerce retailer, resulting in group of 5 trademark applications
- Collaboration and publishing agreements for creator of a graphic novel
- Successful “cease and desist” action against copyright infringer
A FEW OF OUR CLIENTS
- Ardea Biosciences, Inc.
- Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc.
- CURx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Ridge Diagnostics, Inc.
- Provenience Biosciences, LLC
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Reliant Services Group, LLC
- Direct Communication Solutions, Inc.
- Munitio, Inc.
- Art.com, Inc.
- High Camp Supply Inc.
SOFTWARE & CONSUMER APPLICATIONS
- Capsure, Inc.
- Seasoned, LLC
- SoulFunder, Inc.
- invi Labs, Inc.
- Tenacious Brewing Company, LLC
- Wokou, LLC
- Holsem Ventures, LLC
- Kuleana Spirits, Inc.
San Diego office:
Bay Area office:
San Diego Headquarters Location
17085 Via Del Campo
San Diego, CA 92127